"Where History Lives: The Presbyterian Historical Society at 160"
Download resources in Adobe Acrobat format:
Bulletin insert full page | Bulletin insert half page
On May 20, 1852, in Charleston, South Carolina, the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. (Old School) approved the creation of the Presbyterian Historical Society at the urging of Cortland Van Rensselaer (1808-1860), secretary of the Board of Education. One hundred and sixty years after Van Rensselaer advocated for an organization that would rescue the treasures of the Presbyterian Church from the "diluvium of time," the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS) remains true to its founding and central mission: to collect, preserve, and share the historical materials of the Presbyterian Church.
For more information about PHS, visit http://www.history.pcusa.org/history.cfm